Sunday, October 22, 2006

Carol Mackie is Mine!

At 8:45 Saturday morning instead of yarn crawling with the rest of my SnB the wee children and I hit the close-out sale at a local nursery. All perennials were $5 and under. And we're talking good stuff -- not just joe smoe hosta and his friends. At one point after scoring another Tree Peony I found some daphnes languishing in a corner and announced their location out loud as I only wanted one. Another freak woman asked what variety and I said "One Carol Mackie, one blah blah blah, but I want the Carol Mackie." She exclaimed "Carol Mackie!" and started walking quickly towards them. I actually ran a few feet to snatch it up exclaiming "The Carol Mackie is Mine." The competition is fierce amongst (cheap) plant snobs.

For my efforts I was rewarded with the following:


All that for $76! That's super cheap. I realize they look awful in the pic but they'll be beautiful in the spring. I actually squee'd when I saw the Tree Peony for $5. Only one thing of buyers remorse -- the sambucus. I love it but I didn't realize it needed full sun and I don't have any room for it. I put it in semi-shade and hope it will do ok.

We came home, I strapped the poor babe to my back and we planted all of them. My assistants:


Please note the cute new crocheted bonnet.


I have finished his Joseph coat but I still need to sew in a zipper.

5 comments:

Whitney said...

What a plant bargain! Yea, I loaded up on some of my dad's stuff yesterday since they are moving. Free bulbs!!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that we did miss you on Saturday. Next time you have to come with us on our yarn crawl.

Laura said...

wow! what a haul! that's amazing. it's going to look great in the spring. and with the weather today it looks as though the good days for gardening are waning quickly. :)

we missed you on saturday -- hope to see you at phoenix this weekend!

Lanea said...

Welcome to the KR Webring.

Knittymama said...

That bonnet is so sweet!